Child of a Flower-Child

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-26 at 6.03.32 PM

Trippin’ by Dale Innis

I was the child of a flower child
The Age of Aquarius
was awaited like Christmas.
I was named after rainbows
stained glass and rhyming dreams.
I had two parents and
I had twenty Aunts who dressed as fairies
& they and my Uncles had open third eyes.
All their kids were a pile of siblings,
We were one big family, for a long long while.
One pair of going- to- town -shoes
and mostly I went barefoot,
shirtless at six, unconsciously innocent
and I was a believer..of everything magical
everything bright and pleasing, and
every single story my daddy told
I knew because I knew; they were 100% true.
Wind-chimes were my lullabies,
I read book after book by candlelight
and even though sometimes I cried,
when bad things happened
like when my bunny C-Sharp died,
I still looked up to the zillion stars
lighting up the whole wide sky,
and said out loud, like I was taught
“Thank you for this day.
How good it is, to be alive”

Nov.30, 2022
Costa Rica

This entry was posted in Poems, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Child of a Flower-Child

Ach, I love this!

(And that my picture inspired it.)

The colors are wonderful, the words and images are wonderful. As an only child (not even cousins!) who somehow just missed the whole Hippie Thing, this brings me poignant “nostalgia for things never experienced”.

Thank you!

• Thanks so much Dale…your image definitely inspired this one:) I fell in love with the colors and the whole vibe of this image…so relevant and iconic to that particular time in the 60’s 70’s. Lucky to be part of it all and I can’t deny it. So glad you feel I did it justice:) My pleasure Dale.

2. Linda Bass says:

Wonderful recollections of the good fortune(s) of being a flower child surrounded by flower children!

• Awww yes, those days so unique and particular, as I said to Dale, such luck to be born in time to live them….and live them we did! Yes to be part of that garden was something very once-in-a-lifetime…Thank you so much Linda for your comment! 🌹

3. macalder02 says:

The best childhood memories are those that remain in our memory forever, like yours, which are full of that magic that innocence surrounds and come to us as if it were yesterday.

4. swadharma9 says:

i love it!🙏🏼 so joyful & innocent: beautiful!❤️thank you for such a lovely journey😘🙏🏼

5. Jaya Avendel says:

What lovely and alive final lines! ❤

Love Dale’s image and your beautiful and touching words, so relatable, Karima! Your poems are class apart. Childhood memories never fade and in fact we all wish to keep our inner child alive. Today I wrote a poem on this very topic.

7. So glad you enjoyed this one Kaushal…Admiring Dale’s gorgeous image, opened a flood gate of images of my childhood..I wasn’t even thinking I would write a poem, yesterday, but the artwork pushed me past my resistance. Now I’m going to read yours:) We are in sync today:)

8. johncoyote says:

I did love the flowers. Especially the wild flowers dear Karima. I been a tree hugger since birth. I loved the poetry my dear friend.

9. They have a good role model:)

10. Having grown up during the fifties and sixties these lines reminded me of the magical moments of the sixties when we felt carefree and the dress and music were special. Amazing how much of that music has survived and still popular with young people today. Thank you for reminding me of those wonderful times.

• Thank you for your comment David,,,I didn’t even touch on the music in this poem and you’re right, it was something so part of the weave of the 60’s and 70’s. Music surrounded me and influenced me growing up in those days…it was one of the most memorable parts of all we did…I guess as a child, I just took it all for granted as just “Life”:)

11. Bridgette says:

What a truly beautiful poem! I’m a bit of a flower child myself and have tried to raise my children with wonder and love for the world. Your poem made me smile.

• Awww I love to know that Bridgette…welcome to the club:) Oh yes, I too did the same..life is too precious to miss it for trivial things that rob our quality time from really “being there” Thank you so much for this great comment…Peace & Love, Karima

12. Americaoncoffee says:

Life can be colorful and eventful. I once met a guy who was a Woodstock baby. 🤔☕️☕️

13. This is great! You’re always doing something super creative and next level. Awesome to make the poem different colors. Lovely work!