Something Has Changed on WordPress Likes & Comments

Hi everyone,

I have noticed the last few days a new layout when I receive a Like or a Comment.

Now there is no longer any clickable links back to the person Liking or Commenting

and there is no link back to the blog or to their most recent posts, like before.

It now looks like this:

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 5.48.05 PM

In order to pay them a reciprocal visit, I now have to look them up manually in Reader.

This seems contra-intuitive to building community and is simply not user friendly like before.

Why this change?

Comments really appreciated!!
Thanks to Harshi who steered me here.. Mitch Teemley has more on the subject:    https://mitchteemley.com/2022/04/25/never-give-up-blogging/

This entry was posted in Real Life Stuff, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Something Has Changed on WordPress Likes & Comments

That seems really strange! Hope it’s just some temporary bug or something..

2. Harshi says:

Yes, I’ve noticed it as well and I completely agree with you, Karima.

3. I hadn’t noticed. Weird

4. I don’t think anything changed. Some sites could act up for a while. I hope it fixes by itself.
    xoxo

• I think it is just a new look for email notifications of Likes and Comments. Gabriela ❤️ It seems permanent…but before, you could link to the person commenting and visit their sites..Now there are no longer clickable links to do that in the email version:)

5. swadharma9 says:

also when the post displays on a smartphone, there is a lot of wasted space on the edges while all the words are squeezed together in the middle with that huge useless margin surrounding it. this sucks for poetry!!!!

• “this sucks for poetry!!!!” It sure does!! I am not sure if you are using the WordPress app on your phone…That might display it in a better layout…but I am a laptop girl, and use the app, only to check comments when away from my desk.

6. Oh dear, I hope they fix it soon!

Change is inevitable either for better or worse.😊🤗

8. Willow Croft says:

I’m having problems with the “Like” buttons not loading all of a sudden. And I don’t like the new way the posts show up in my email notifications. *sigh*

9. Jaya Avendel says:

I confess I turned off my email notifications for likes, but I have noticed that the format has changed in new post alerts too! I like that I can click to go to the post or also click to immediately like or comment, but not being able to click the link to people who have liked my posts would be very frustrating! It is a pity they don’t make the Gravatar image clickable. . .

10. oh no… please tell me not another change. I don’t get email notifications tho with is why I might not notice it YET. I also miss comments and likes I think sometimes but I couldn’t function with a full inbox there too. Yikes! 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

11. stolzyblog says:

Noticed this too, Karima, starting nearly a week ago. Distinctly not an improvement, as far as I can see. What good is setting one’s profile for email notifications of people liking or commenting on your stuff if you cannot directly navigate from the email to the person?

Hello WP… are your ears on??

I am strictly using the WO app these days, so am unsure about this change, Karima. When I’ve had issues with WP, I’ve used their chat function in the app, which was somewhat helpful. Hopefully this change will become more seamless over time.

• Thank you for your feedback, Jeff…I think if they are phasing out emails and email subscriptions….they should let us know.. Many people still use both.. On Mitch’s blog,there were over 60 comments…most not happy with this change… Hopefully it will get all straightened out 🙏

• Jeff Flesch says:

Ahh, I see. I completely agree that they should let us know, and understand many use both. Using only reader is new for me. I just couldn’t keep up with the email. I hope it gets straightened out too. 🙏

13. Yes, I was quite upset by this change! I go to Reader, bring up my site, and then access people from the “likes” list. I also access people through the notifications on my site. Hope that helps.

14. dantectrippy says:

Just about to start my blog with WP because I’m tired of social networks changing rules every couple of weeks (especially FB).
    Now you’ve got me scared!!
    I’m looking for stability here, for transparency, and for freedom to say what I want the way I want. Hope I won’t be disapointed once again…

• I still think WordPress is so much more stable and transparent than other social media platforms with a wonderful community of bloggers who are helpful, encouraging and not trolls. I have been here since 2010..I recommend it!