Black Beauties

wpn Shot 2022-06-23 at 6.55.18 PM

Black Aconites and Lillies
Photo taken by James Ottobre in his garden

Black Beauties

Black beauties with your heads held high.
towering over the garden wall
Were you ever meant to blend in
with the tangerine and green,
the indigo and rose?

What was the plan for your existence?
and who approved it?
Something from a Goth castle’s
mad tea party, croquet with swans?

I have seen you creeping about
your shadow bathing the lilies
in dark penumbras
You never stay put
and that is just not right.
Your are a flower, after all,
and should not be walking around.
after the sun goes down, at night.

On your woody stocks you arch
your ebony heads and open,
flaunting your extraordinary face.
I am hypnotized by your midnight color,
your starless sky.

You love the lilies, wherever they are
and creep up behind them like umbrellas
shading them from too much sun
at night, from too much moon.

Just some “Black Aconites” the gardener told me your name..
and yet, not even Google can find another picture like this one.

June 26, 2022
Costa Rica

This entry was posted in Poems, Real Life Stuff, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Black Beauties

Goth indeed. 🙂 Lovely words, from an extraordinary picture. You find the poems everywhere!

• Lately, I think they are finding me:) Jimmy’s photograph of his beloved garden, just blew me away,,after making it my desktop and staring at it for a few days, I knew, it was hoping to be a poem:) I just obliged:)

2. This is stunning, Karima – I think you’ve outdone yourself… I just love this piece.

3. Msdedeng says:

This is great, Karima. Black/dark/goth is beautiful!

4. Thank you for saying that:) and for commenting..❤️

5. Gorgeous as always Karima!
    love the start and pic is fab pairing!
    “Black beauties with your heads held high.
    towering over the garden wall
    Were you ever meant to blend in”👏👏👏

6. Bows regally with a big smile:):) in sync with them:)

Wow! Those are extraordinarily beautiful, Karima. I adore flowers I’ve never seen before, and that pair is exquisite. This is my fav line in your beautiful write, “You love the lilies, wherever they are and creep up behind them like umbrellas shading them from too much sun at night from too much moon” Amazing, are you. 🌹🖤🦋🤗

• Oh Jeff, I know how much you love flowers and colors and actually I wrote this poem after visiting your Indigo poem and chose “Indigo and rose” influenced by your gorgeous description. See how we influence each other? 🙂 Thank you so much for this wonderful comment and yes the last lines, I sort of like too..I see those proud concerned Black Aconites…doing just that, for their precious lilies:) Thank you!! 🙏🤗🦋❤️

• Jeff Flesch says:

Awww, that’s so lovely to know. We do influence each other. How inspirational! You’re most welcome, Karima. Always. Indeed, so protective and amazing! 🙏❤️🌹✨🤗

8. Jaya Avendel says:

What stunning words to complement an absolutely magnificent photo! ❤

9. marcdbaker says:

Beautiful photo and poem. You are multi talented !
    Marc

• Sorry it has taken so long to reply Marc but thank you so much for your continual support and your inspiring words. It means a lot. I will be visiting your blog soon too:)

• marcdbaker says:

I would love to email with you. I find you very interesting and talented.
        Let me know if you are interested. Would you like some photos of this island ?
        Marc

10. jonicaggiano says:

This is a lovely photograph and the flowers amazing. I love the piece and every line. It is a beautiful metaphorical piece about someone so special, just gorgeous dearest Karima. I love the idea of someone protecting the flowers at night, how sweet is that. xoxoxoxo